Sunday, February 24, 2008

Banana bread

It snowed all day Friday, and I had three very ripe and willing bananas. It was clear; the time had come to make banana bread. Banana bread is incredible to me – it’s so very much like cake, and yet we call it bread. That means the stuff is as acceptable a breakfast as it is a dessert. Cake in the morning? Ingenious.


This recipe is one of the first I ever tried. It yields a moist inside flecked with bananas and a crisp crust. Just don’t cover it with tin foil while it’s still hot and run off to class for three hours like I did, or the crust will lose its crunch. You can use less butter if you want to, but oh, it is so tasty like this. And Hunter likes it, so you know it must be good.


You’ll see the recipe is in that first picture. If you click on any of the pictures, they get larger. Note that I would add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to this, and 3/4 cup sugar is plenty. One loaf, however, may not be enough.

1 comment:

L Vanel said...

The photo with the banana and kitchen notebook is really evocative. I love it. Nice looking banana bread too!